Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Recycled Gifts


As you know, I have strong anti-consumerist, anti-materialist feelings about Christmas. I save my consuming for January, when the sales are on - haha! Not really. So anyway, I really went for recycling this year. I think it's ingeniously green, you may say outright stingy. No matter. Jimmy's gifts were the felted old tennis ball above (tutorial here) - which is a fun thing to make while you watch telly when the kids are asleep, unless of course they wake up JUST when your water is hot, the ball's half done and your hands are soapy, AND there's a good bit on the telly - and the water-bottle-glittery-roly-thing.
Kees received six tin cans and a ball for a game of knock'ems. Yes, this probably was a bit scabby, teehee, but devilishly funny too. Don't think I'll be getting out of it that cheap in ten years!


Kees was given this t-shirt by a loving relative, but I never let him wear it because the slogan on it, "LOCK UP YOUR DAUGHTERS", wasn't quite my cup of tea. So I sewed some cool fabric over the top and voila, a new t-shirt for Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's. And no, I don't know why Dad's shirt is wet, but it does rather look like dribble. No doubt a little terror had something to do with it.

I'm just cooking minestrone for dinner while the men have a picnic at the park. What are you cooking? Kees packed the picnic and we couldn't refuse: it contained a blanket, bottle of milk, cup, half an orange and a toy for Jimmy. Awwww.




3 comments:

  1. Cath I love the recycled gifts. It gets so freaking crazy when they get older. With all the moving etc I really let go of a lot of my morals so Christmas was very commercial and I did not like it. Not one little bit. HOpefully next year will be better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cath! I love the ingenious toys!! they are the best! my mum made noah one of the glitter bottles, his has a plastic kangaroo in it and he loves it! I'm all for recycled/second hand pressies! I found Noah a wooden ship that is not in its glory days anymore, but with a new flag etc...it made a great gift! Hope your well, see you in the New Year! Love Martine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I think recycled presents are great. A couple of the cheap rubbishy toys we bought the kids broke within the first couple of days (now I get to take them back!).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your comments. I love to read them. xx